Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Other Day...

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 21; the twenty-first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
       It is stuffy inside the Law Offices. I wave away the offer of Tea that my lawyer asks me. 'There, you go. It is all done. You have been given Zarine's custody now. He will be allowed to see her every Saturday for 2 hours, but that is if you want him to. Basically he has lost his rights as a father.' He explains. I nod, mutter ‘Thanks’, grab the file and walk out of his office.
       I can see his eyes boring the back of my skull.
       For one weak moment, I want to go back and tell him to somehow make all this vanish.
       The files, the court summons, the papers I just signed. Erase them, Tear them, Fling them away into the air. And go back to the Life I had. Wedded Bliss, like Rutul called it.
       Maybe if I was alone, I would have.
       But for Zarine.
       But for her, I wouldn't.
***
       When Zarine arrived, we could not have been happier. Rutul and I had been married for 9 years, of which 3 were spent dating each other in college. It was Love at first sight. He was perfect in every way imaginable and I considered myself lucky. 
       We had everything planned. When we would buy our own house, when the children would arrive - everything. He had always wanted 4 kids. 2 sons and 2 daughters. ‘For now, let us start with one’ I teased him as he stood there with our precious daughter. Father and Daughter. Touche. 
       It was perfect. 
       Too perfect. 
       I remember lying in the hospital with a living and breathing tiny porcelain wonder in my arms and Rutul holding the telephone to my ear. People calling in and sharing our happiness.
       Life would change. 
       And how.

       The last telephone call that day was from Parul. She was wondering if she could come down to stay with us for sometime.  Rutul thought she was rude to ask that when she knew I was exhausted from my Birthing ordeal. But Parul was my childhood friend and we had done everything together. Until she went to Milan to study and I came down to Delhi with Rutul. She had been on and off with some guys up there and had suddenly decided she wanted to get away from it all. Basically she wanted some breathing space from her too-many-doomed relationships. Her project with some NGO in Delhi had worked out n she wanted to know if she could stay with us. I said yes while Rutul looked at me amused. I saw no offence in what she asked. 'It would be nicer and easier on me, what with the baby and all. I could sure have her help while she stays.' I explained to Rutul later. 

       We threw a party a few days later. Welcoming Zarine and Parul, both. I was glad to have her by my side. We reminisced over school incidents, startling Rutul with our giggling fits. He felt better too. Maybe he was secretly relieved that I no longer cribbed to him about how grossly fat and ugly I thought I looked post-delivery. I had felt that Rutul and I were growing distant. Maybe it was my Post-natal depression taking over. But sometimes I felt rejected when he turned over to his side of the bed, instead of cuddling me like before. 
       It was Parul who made me feel beautiful. She indulged me and booked the Beauty-Salon to attend to me at Home. We went shopping, and once again after all these years, she was my soul-sister. The party was a huge success. Parul was not as beautiful as me, yet she looked looked stunning in her backless gown, while I looked like a douche bag with my post-natal fat.
       She was infectious. Her vivaciousness, her optimism and her laughter. 
       'Stay away from her,I'm saving her for someone', I growled mockingly at Sam and Arush, who wanted me to ask her out on their behalf.

       14 months after that party, I filed for Divorce.

       I had had no idea that the ‘someone’ I was joking about would be ‘my own someone’. Absolutely no clue. No, not until The Other Day. When I impulsively decided to cancel my shopping mid-way and returned to find Rutul, still in his back-from-work clothes, explaining to me, in front of a half-dressed Parul surprised, while I stand there, the bags on the floor, Zarine shrieking at being awakened by our noisy intrusions, two voices in my ears, Paruls’ and Rutul’s, incoherent mumblings, stammerings, lispings, repetitions of the same words, two voices – ‘It is not what it seems, darling, let me explain. I have not done anything wrong, (….No, Parul screams, No you loser) and he had just come upstairs to change (…..we have been going at it ever) and that Parul had seduced him (…..since the party) and that he loved me and not her (….you pathetic prick, you wanted me) and that it was just a physical momentary thing for him (….don’t believe him, he is lying) and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......


The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

25 comments:

The Fool said...

I loved your narrative style. Flowed beautifully. But story as such seemed right out of a soap or a movie.

Aashish Sood said...

Heart rending story! Were it upto Baba Ramdev, he would have gotten the two of them terminated!

ATB for BAT

Read mine at The Other Day

Someone is Special said...

"blah blah..." Shilpa, yet another awesome post from your pen.. I wish you good luck to win for the third time.. Awesome.. Keep Writing.. Wanna know what happened the other day?

Someone is Special

Shilpa Nair said...

@SIS - U will have me stuck with the Bronzer ;) I did read ur story the moment u posted it, but was running a little short of time to post comments. Will do so now. All the Luck to u :)

Sureindran said...

A beautiful narration Shilpa! Liked the way you tell the story and it kept me on this page until the last word. Will be coming here more often. And definitely, one of the best "The Other Day"(s).

Sureindran - The Other Day

Shilpa Nair said...

@TF - I was looking for ur post earlier in the day.l But didn't find it. Aren't u writing? Lemme check now. Yep, u totally hit the nail on the head. I think the word u want to use is 'Cliched'.....which i agree with.
It is Cliched :( Totally Cliched. :(

Shilpa Nair said...

@Ashish - Thanks for reading. And Poor Baba Ramdev wouldn't have the energy to shoo away a fly now, what with all his fasting ;)

Shilpa Nair said...

@Sureindran. U really feel so?! Thank U :) Thank U :)

dreamer said...

Nice One Shilpa ..Great narration..ATB for BAT

viva_andya said...

superb narration & i really love the lines in your narration which make me stick till the story ends.
read mine
- The Other Day

Shilpa Nair said...

@Dreamer - Thank U :)

Enchanta said...

I have a feeling this will be a long comment.

Firstly, Ms. Shilpa Nair, (you've become a name in my head), to check out your post is one of the first things I have on mind as soon as posting for BAT gets over.

You're so very affecting, captivating; there's this thing that would make the reader feel that he/she is a part of it.

Secondly, you have my vote. I am guessing, you always shall.

D2 said...

You know, I love how you make the most sordid affairs look very interesting. You had me glued till the very end, though by the second-last paragraph, I could guess what had happened.
Awesome story. :)

Shilpa Nair said...

@D2 - I always look appreciate urs n Enchanta's feedback. The story - a little cliched-sounding,Blame it on the soaps n movies we are bombarded with. Like TF says - reads like a story out of one of 'em. Did u notice that this time, we have a lot of really good posts from the contenders. Voting is going to be real tough :)

Shilpa Nair said...

@Enchants - Muchas Gracias! N U r so right, girlie! The first names I'm looking for is Enchanta,D2 and Leo. This time Leo had posted, but u two were missing. N then I saw D2 post. But u were still missing. N I was like, oh no even if she misses the deadline, why didn't she still post it? hahahaha.....i like reading more n more of ur posts, so that I can try try to learn to deviate a little from the relationships n women oriented things that I mostly write.

Enchanta said...

I tried to do something different this time and well I posted in the last hour, thanks to my extremely busy and erratic schedule.

And its really a pleasure that you look forward to what I write. :D

Srikanth said...

@Shilpa..

Good story I would say and the emotions were spot on

Shilpa Nair said...

@Srikanth - Glad u liked it :)

No Guts No Glory said...

Astounding. I'm utterly astounded. Really, this has been a pleasure to have come across and read. I love the way you described all the small things. :')
Good luck Shilpa!

Vysh @The Colourful Eyes said...

Cool Narration! U made it V.interesting too..

ATB fr BAT :)

Thanks for ur Love n comments on The Other day of Mine

Vysh

Sweta said...

Loved your narration...
best of luck for BAT :)

aativas said...

Hmm.. why do people act so foolishly? The all three in the story seem to act foolishly.. inviting sorrow for everyone! Well expressed.

Utℏℜa $uresh ~ ℳaking ℰveryday ℳagical ❤ said...

beautiful:) hands off :) i search for your name everytime the bat comes up.. truly madly in love with your writing:) best of luck dear:)

Shilpa Nair said...

@NGNG, Vysh, Sweta, aativas and Uthra - Glad u liked it :) Do keep coming to have more of my Nonsense served :)

Nikhil Patokar said...

Comming back for the delicious Nonsense served :-)

ATB

Tough choice to make— wife or Peace of mind…
Find out what happened – The Other Day on my blog -THE SILENT WORDS